Jan 9, 2014

Making an Impact

So here she is, my latest tool purchase. A brushless, three-speed, 20-volt, DeWalt impact driver.

This is my third such drill/driver and, although a little expensive, they do last for a long, long time.

My first one was a nice 14.4 volt, blue, Ryobi drill-driver given to me as a present from my parents. That one helped get me through my first house and all of the many projects settling into it.

When the Ryobi gave out, I bought a super-heavy duty, 18-volt Black and Decker - this was a monster with wrist-breaking torque and back-breaking weight. It helped build the shed bases that I have, and perform all kinds of household tasks in my current house. Recently, one of the batteries stopped taking any charge and the other only charges halfway, so I decided to retire it.

This DeWalt uses new battery technology (hope it lasts) that is much smaller and lighter. These lithium batteries charge in just minutes and give this compact dynamo enough oompf to hammer in screws amazingly fast. The operation is not like a masonry drill (jackhammer), but more similar to an air-wrench used by auto mechanics, using rotational blows to torque the screws. It does make for a more noisy activity, but the action is fast and very easy.

First order of business will be to attach my mailbox to its post... as soon as the weather warms up a little (this weekend).



No comments: