Aug 18, 2013

Technology Continues to Evolve... And I'm Keeping Up


I know, I know... but how could I not?

Yes, I bought another camera... but wait, this one makes perfect sense (at least to me) as it plays a specific role in my photography hobby.

The picture below shows a comparison between my DSLR (7D) and my new EOS-M --- mirrorless, interchangable lens camera.

Look at the size difference!! And an important note is that the sensor in these cameras are the SAME - same size, same megapixels, same quality images.

After only a day of playing around with this tiny dynamo, I can say that it is pretty amazing. Extremely well built/solid, touch screen, and just such a compact package. Takes wonderful pictures.

Some preliminary PROs and CONs

PRO
-- Tiny size - amazing!
-- Image quality - APS-C sensor yields excellent results even in low light
-- If I buy an adapter, I can use all of my existing DSLR lenses - versatile
-- Did I mention how small this is - OMG!
-- Low cost - similar cost to high-end point and shoot.


CON
-- Ergonomically it is not as quick to adjust settings as my 7D - touch screen menus are OK, but much more cumbersome than knobs/dials and thumbwheels.
-- Autofocus is nothing like my lightning quick 7D, more like a point and shoot. Would not work well for sports.
-- No viewfinder (only LCD), so in bright outdoor light it can be difficult to see the screen.
-- Not too many M-specific lenses out yet - only 2-3 choices. Nothing long range. I expect this could change soon.
-- No internal flash - I don't use them much, but for backlit snapshots, I will miss it.


The reason I jumped into this new EOS-M is that the price has been chopped recently by Canon. This was initially a $899 item and has come down to $350 (Amazon). That's dramatic!

I think Canon took this action as there have been lots of bad press about EOS-Ms slow autofocus, although a firmware update has vastly improved this condition and it is just fine now. Perhaps they also felt pressure from iPhone and some of the other mirrorless options from Panasonic and others that have been selling in high volume. I also see rumors that Canon is going to release a new "M" model very soon, but my guess is that it would come in at $599+ level. If I am wrong, then I can always exercise my 30d Amazon return and get the new one, but I doubt that the improvements will be enough to get me to move.

Still VERY early, but I am loving the new, solidly built, EOS-M. One sweet piece of gear! And perfect for a trip up Mt. Monadnock sometime soon.

No comments: