Aug 25, 2013

New (Used) Trailer



A friend of mine offered me his trailer for the total sum of $0... he said he didn't use it and was tired of seeing this 5x8 sit in his yard, so now it sits in mine - way back near shed #2. The trailer bed is metal grating, so sheet of plywood is helpful to make a solid bottom. The back gate works as a ramp or can be folded up into the trailer flat.

My idea is to turn it into a kayak hauler as well as a utility trailer for any other chores. I need to register it with NJ sometime. I also bought a draw bar for my Kubota, so I can easily pull it around the yard.

It was a bit rusty, but Alex and I got a couple brushes and a quart of rust preventative primer and gave it a once over this afternoon. Could use a little more touch up here and there and some work on the wheels, but overall in pretty good shape. I need to rewire the lights (or buy new ones).

I was thinking of painting it black, but Alex said "Leave it like this, it looks tough!"

He may be right and as far as function is concerned, it meets the need.

2 comments:

@acrossroad said...

I think Alex is right on that front, throw a little green camoflauge and it would blend right in with the landscape...I would recommend removing the OSB decking with some marine plywood, just in case you plan to walk on it that OSB is not going to hold much of anything as it gets wet and breaks down. One step closer for getting those 4 yaks out at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I agree, bit of green and it will look even tougher. btw, the OSb board there is the industrial waterproof type, been there 5+yrs without issue but you're right it is a bit worn. maybe time for new one. enjoy it! Rich